Wednesday 11 February 2015

Readings... January


With all the excitement of January coming to an end, I forgot to share my reading for the month.
I read...
  • Joan Didion - Slouching Towards Bethlehem
  • JK Rowling - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  • Richard Ayoade - Ayoade on Ayoade
  • JK Rowling - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
I always plan to read the Harry Potter series from start to finish, but find invariably that I get distracted by something else around "...Goblet of Fire", so this time I started at the end, with the last three books. I am halfway through "...the Deathly Hallows" now, and so pleased that I've done everything the wrong way around. 
I think I may have started in the wrong place with Joan Didion though. I hadn't read anything else she'd written, and although "Slouching Towards Bethlehem" is famous for being a good representation of the time, quite honestly it was too much of it's time - essentially before mine - for me to understand the context or some of the references. I will persevere though because I loved her style. 

"The impulse to write things down is a peculiarly compulsive one, inexplicable to those who do not share it, useful only accidentally, only secondarily, in the way that any compulsion tries to justify itself." 
Joan Didion from "On Keeping a Notebook"

No comments:

Post a Comment